Monday, December 19, 2011

Kimono Challenge Tag #12 Evolution of My Kitsuke part 1

Hello Everyone, 


I can pretty much divide my kitsuke into Pre-England and Post-England. Pre-England is when I was just getting into it, learning how to wear kimono properly, still couldn't tie an obi by myself, getting my collection going, and generally looking pretty "sad" most of the time :P. I also just started figuring out my kimono style. Post-England is when I moved to UK, and had no one to help me (other than my husband, but he wasn't always available), learned how to FINALLY tied the obi on my own, figured out my style, and which kimono I like the most. 


Pre-England: 
In no particular order. 


Can you say TRADITIONAL? About the most adventurous thing I did was wear a hat and a shawl (after I saw Okimono Kimono book). I was also learning how get my kitsuke better, so my ohashori, haneri and obiage left much to be desired. Good thing, practice makes perfect, and even wearing kimono just ONCE a month helped me improve. 


Anime Weekend Atlanta



Anime Weekend Atlanta. This is the first kimono I bought on my own. It's pretty, but totally not my style anymore. 
Wearing my very FIRST kimono again. 
Kitsuke is MUCH better here, but this was right before I left for England. 
This yukata is what started my "getting back" into kimono, after my very first kimono spent 2 years on a hanger. I bought this yukata and started learning properly. 
Failed attempt at coordination. 
OMG stretch tabi!!
Oh the ohashori, how I  hated you. 
Pensacola Renaissance Fair, right before I left for UK. 
My first kimono fashion show that I organized with friends. Also right before I left UK. 
First time wearing furisode for my birthday, and a week before my wedding!
Mobile International Festival
More stretch tabi! Oh the horror! :) 
Barnes & Noble, aka my 2nd home. Trying out shawls and  hats together, but everything else is pretty traditional. 
Pensacola Japanese New Year. This coordination got thumbs up from all the Japanese ladies there. 
Oh look, I'm trying to match my accessories already! 
As you can see, obiage bow was my favorite thing to do at this time. 
More hats and shawls. At this time, I had only 2, maybe 3 cloche hats, but whole bunch of other styles. 
Mobile Japanese New Year. 
Kimono and my car :) 
Professional photos we did of our Pensacola Kimono Club. 
Experience Asia in Tallahassee, this was the time when I drove 3hr continuously in kimono and figured out that driving in it is not that bad! 
Have your kitsuke evolved over the years? 


~ Lyuba


1. How did you discover and got into kimono? 
2. Your dearest kimono item(s).
3. Your most used kimono item(s) (not counting jubans, datejimes etc.).
4. Your least used kimono item(s).

5. Your favourite coordination(s) so far.
6. What do you like and don't like about kimono. 
7. Kimono confessions. Did you know that... 
8. Your dream kitsuke items (or at least items you really really want but can't get for whatever reason).
9. Your biggest kimono fears. 
10. Your biggest kimono inspiration. 
11. Your kimono collection. 
12. The evolution of your kitsuke Part 1.

13. Your special kimono memory.

2 comments:

  1. the second before last photo is pretty! You're really good at tying your obi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, although it was my friend who tied my obi there! I can do it now on my own, but at the time I still needed help.

      Delete